WANTED: FUNNEL-WEB EGG SACS!
We’re on the lookout for funnel-web egg sacs! To help grow our funnel-web spider population for our lifesaving venom program, we need funnel-web egg sacs. These little spiders will be raised here at the Australian Reptile Park for the collection of their venom, which is used to create vital antivenom for this deadly species.
If you’re out in the garden and you spot a funnel-web egg sac, please follow the instructions below and collect it! You will be helping us to save lives through our funnel-web spider venom program.
How to Collect a Funnel Web Egg Sac:
- Get a spoon with long handle and a container with a secure lid
- Using the spoon, gently scoop the egg sac into the container – be cautious of adult spiders in the area/nest
- Place the egg sac into the container with a small amount of damp soil and secure the lid tightly
- If there is an adult funnel-web spider and you feel confident to collect it, please follow the instructions below and keep the spider and egg sac in seperate jars
- Bring the jar/s to Australian Reptile Park as soon as possible!
Our Keepers will also be on the lookout for funnel-web egg sacs in key suburbs on the Central Coast. If you live in Wyoming, Ourimbah, Matcham or Terrigal, you may get a visit from Keepers looking to explore your backyard!
NOTE: Funnel-web spider egg sacs can only be accepted at the Australian Reptile Park. Funnel-web spider donations are accepted at every location.